Dietitians celebrate the holidays with the best of them. This includes enjoying traditional and delicious holiday foods. However, we are equipped with tools that innately make healthy choices a bit easier during a season that seems filled with endless temptation. Oftentimes we think in terms of what we can have or add to our repertoire of recipes. We turn a plain egg and cheese omelet into a veggie loaded egg scramble that makes ones mouth water. For your upcoming traditional meals, consider ‘Stuffin’ Muffins’ in place of traditional stuffing and dinner rolls…a guiltless way to enjoy a traditional food. I’ve done the work for (having tried a few recipes myself). Enjoy!
1 box (6oz) Betty Crocker Homestyle Stuffing cornbread flavored mix
1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 2 In large bowl, toss stuffing mix, water and butter. Add apple, celery and parsley; toss until combined. Divide mixture evenly among muffin cups, pressing mixture in cups with spoon.
- 3 Bake about 20 minutes or until stuffing is firm and tops are golden brown.