6 Tips for Surviving and Thriving in the Upcoming Holidays
The holidays will soon be here along with parties, cocktail hours and family feasts. It’s a time when schedules become hectic with shopping, travel, and social events, often making it tough to keep up a regular exercise and healthy eating routine. Yet studies indicate that taking off merely a couple of weeks of exercise can erase months of positive metabolic gains.
However, with just a little advance planning, it’s possible to not only maintain health and fitness goals throughout the season, but to even shed a few pounds before seeing family and friends, fitting into that party outfit, and obtaining awesome fitness results this holiday season.
- Put exercise first – schedule workouts for first thing in the morning. Start the day with boosted energy and metabolism before things get hectic. Plan workouts for the week ahead and then do them.
- Focus on shorter, more intense training workouts when time is limited, and enjoy the added benefit of increased fitness and burning more calories over a short period of time.
- Keep track of food intake and activity levels. Raising awareness of the calories in holiday or party foods and drinks can allow for choices of smaller portions or other adjustments to stay within caloric goals.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Remember, the brain can confuse hunger for thirst so drinking a large glass of water before a meal can help reduce the calories consumed. Try to drink six to eight glasses of water per day.
- Get plenty of rest. The lack of sleep makes it harder for the body to recover from exercise. The body produces more growth hormones with a good night’s sleep, which helps with fat burning.
- Find a friend or group of workout buddies to help motivation and prevent skipping. Exercise classes can be a great way to meet new workout friends.
Although eating healthfully and staying in shape may take planning and determination, it’s well worth the results. Get started now with one of the many classes available at Pivotal Fitness. Find one that you know you love, or try something new.
Check out our class schedule today and find a class that can help you thrive during the holiday season and reach your fitness goals at www.pivotalfitness.com.